As a family-run business with a small tight-knit team, we share the concern of our customers about Climate Change and we are committed to playing our part in preserving our planet.
We have already taken significant steps — some from the very start, some more recently — to make our business as sustainable and environmentally-friendly as possible.
These have included:
- Eco packaging. We are proud to say that the majority of our packaging is now plastic-free! All retail orders from our UK warehouse (ordered via tug-e-nuff.com) are packed in lovely recyclable paper bags and (for bigger orders) cardboard boxes. Orders via Amazon unfortunately, for now, do come in plastic as a requirement of the fulfilment centres, but we’re hoping this will change.
- Supporting local. We use local suppliers, wherever possible, for our materials — for example, we responsibly source the fur for our Sheepskin collection from various British farmers (the fur is a byproduct of the meat industry that would otherwise be thrown away - we never use suppliers that kill animals for their fur).
- Hand-finished in Devon. The majority of our products are prepared, assembled and sewn by our talented team in our Devon, UK workshop.
- Sustainable materials. We actively seek to create new products using environmentally friendly materials. For instance, our latest addition of the PowerBall is made from natural rubber, which is recyclable, nontoxic, BPA free, Phthalate free and PVC free.
- Electric vehicles. We are in the process of switching all our company vehicles to electric and we support the local electric charging network by offering our own charging station, located in the car park of our workshop, for community use.
- Tuggy Refresh Service. We make top quality products that stand the test of time but some wear and tear is inevitable. We have therefore come up with an innovative, eco-friendly way to extend the life of our products. Customers can now send in old real and faux fur toys to have them repaired, so they get a new lease of life instead of being thrown in the bin (although the real fur used in our toys is also fully biodegradable)
- Donation policy. We donate all returned products to local animal charities. This reduces waste but also provides rescue dogs with much-needed enrichment during their kennel stays.
Although we are proud of our progress, we are not complacent and we are actively reviewing ways to make even more positive changes, including:
- Continually reviewing ways to source more materials locally
- Improving recycling facilities in our workshop
- Using recycled material to make our signature webbing that we use to make handles
- Offsetting the carbon of our deliveries